Sunday, December 6, 2009

Good walk.

As promised, I entered the Peel to Douglas walk today. Firstly, I would like to say a big thank you to all the organisers, judges and marshalls. As we headed out from Douglas shortly after 8am, there were already numerous signs in place and it wasn't long before we spotted Paul Jackson putting up a sign - he had obviously been preparing the route for some time already!
Fortunately, the weather stayed dry and there was only a light wind. The race was won by Steve Partington in, I believe, his slowest time to date (I can only wish of such greatness!!), closely followed by Michael George. Good performances also from Henry De Silva in the over 75 category with a time of 2 hours 10 minutes 29 seconds, but unfortunately he finished behind the youngster Norbert Will in the over 70's category. I have to give a special mention (for the sake of family harmony) to the ladies winner, Judith Quane as she is my sister in law - your mum will be proud of you! For me, I walked a good pace but as is now a recurring theme, I was overtaken by Richard Gerrard in the later part of the race - I can't say I'm glad to see the back of him. I must say thank you to my wife Sally, as she kindly gave up her own chance to race and looked after the children to allow me to race instead.
I spent the afternoon fitting some outside lights but I haven't connected them to the mains yet - a little job for tomorrow. If there are any power cuts in the next 24 hours, it wasn't me......

No comments:

Post a Comment