Saturday, April 17, 2010

Stop procrastinating

By the time I had finished writing the blog on Thursday, I didn't leave myself enough time to get down to the NSC and walk, so I went for a 6 mile walk from home instead. I was rather pleased with my effort so to follow up, I went for an 8 mile walk around Onchan and Douglas yesterday evening. I was spurred on as I walked at great speed past the pub, safe in the knowledge that I would be inside it within the hour!

I woke this morning feeling refreshed so I don't have any top tips for walking with a hang over, other than best not to. Unfortunately, I got into my old habit of putting off the walking today. I had planned to get out and do a longer walk as recently all my walks have been over a short distance. I did start with good intentions by putting on my T shirt and shorts. But the sun was shining and the birds were singing and I started to relax in the garden. By lunchtime, the BBQ was lit and I was helping myself to a refreshing can of lager. As I sat in the sun with my T shirt off (ladies, please try and control yourselves), the burgers cooking and sipping on the lager, I thought to myself, is this the behaviour of an elite international athlete? Is this what Roger Black taught me when he gave his motivational talk? I don't think so!

So I put the t shirt back on and dragged myself out and walked 18 miles. I now realise that I need to do some regular longer walks as my legs are aching a lot this evening. Hopefully I have learnt the lesson and next time I will get out and do the walk earlier rather than putting it off.

Good luck to everyone competing in the 5km race at the NSC in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment