Friday, April 23, 2010

Resting up before Sunday.

I was tied up last Sunday teaching on a course but I thought there was a possibility that I might be able to escape for an hour or so to sneak down to the NSC for the 5km walk. That, plus the fact that Jock Waddington and Dave Mackey had been persuading me to enter earlier in the week gave me the encouragement I needed. I was surprised to find when I got there that after all the persuasion from Jock, a hangover had got the better of him and he was watching! I managed to come home in 5th place largely due to the fact that a number of faster people didn't enter. I was quite pleased with my time as I hadn't really planned to do it and my legs felt quite heavy from the 18 miles that I had covered the previous evening. As soon as I finished, I had to dash off and miss out on the close finish between my wife and her sister (and the ensuing sibling rivalry!)

The rest of the week, I have been taking it fairly easy in preparation for the Sara Killey walk this Sunday. I went to the children's race walking on Monday evening and on Wednesday I went for a 9 mile walk around East and West Baldwin. Now I bumped into Sean Hands during that walk and I can, for once say that I actually passed Sean not once but twice during the course of the walk. Unfortunately, on both occasions, he was going considerably faster and in the opposite direction.

Apart from kicking a football around the garden with the children last night and tonight, I am otherwise resting up now for the big day on Sunday. I have even managed to avoid any alcohol in the past 48 hours (not intentionally, just due to work commitments).

Just a quick good luck to all the local athletes competing in the London Marathon on Sunday. I was talking to Rosie Craine on Tuesday and I hadn't considered the impact that the volcanic ash cloud would have until she told me of her travel arrangements and plan B that she had come up with. Probably the last thing that was needed after all the months of training and preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment