Friday, April 2, 2010

Only 84 days to go.

Time is ticking by rather rapidly - only 84 more days to go to the big day. I have been out doing a few short walks this week. It was heavy rain on Tuesday so I went for a swim followed by 45 minutes walk training down at the NSC with Allan Callow. On Wednesday, I went for a 5 mile walk after it had stopped snowing and yesterday I went for a 6 mile walk. I'm not quite sure why but I have felt quite tired when walking this week and on each occasion felt quite slow. Hopefully it's just a blip.

Today is a rest day before the Manx Mountain Marathon tomorrow. It's a bit like a practice run for the Parish Walk as I am going to get all my kit out shortly in preparation and get the food and drinks ready. A few people laugh at the volumes of food and drink that I take when doing a serious event. However, I have learnt from experience. On the End to End walk last year I took quite a bit of food in the support car which Sally drives along often accompanied by Zac, Max and sometimes Jenny. Unfortunately the kids think its their birthday and usually by the first rendezvous, the kids have chocolate around the mouth and half the food is gone. Sally usually prefers the fruit. I shall see what the weather and the day brings tomorrow.

With a rest day, it gives me the opportunity to help out with the Easter Athletics Festival 10k this evening. I have run this both last year in a time of 45 mins 33 and the year before without any training in a time of 54 mins 44 and it would have been interesting to see how much I have improved (or deteriorated) with regular training this year. There are lots of good young athletes in the race so I will be heading down South later to check out the talent.

That reminds me of a little anecdote. Sally entered the Peel Hill race a couple of years ago and in support, I walked about half way up Peel Hill to encourage her. Amongst the front runners in the race was blonde student who, as she was just running in front of me, promptly collapsed. With no one else around apart from the other athletes I had no option but to help out and offer the kiss of life. Sally came through around the middle of the field to find me in what could have been interpreted as a compromising position. The young lady did take a while to come round - I was still in the same position when Sally came past a second time on the descent. Not the sort of encouragement she was looking for. I can report that both the athlete and myself made a full recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment