Sunday, January 10, 2010

It's all in the preparation.

After my training on Thursday, I was a bit stiff on Friday and also busy with work so decided to have a rest day on the assumption that the winter walking league would be cancelled this weekend so I could do some exercise on Saturday. However, the roads around Ronaldsway industrial estate were clear and so the race was due to go ahead, hence Saturday became a rest day too in preparation for the race.
Now my pre-race preparation probably needs a little fine tuning but generally follows a similar pattern. The day before the race is a rest day so I don't do any exercise. The night before the race, I usually head to Douglas for a couple of pints and then return home for some food and a nice bottle of wine. To calm the nerves before bed, a little whisky usually helps although this week, I tried without the whisky. On the morning of the race, I wake up late and head off in a rush, usually forgetting various items (on this occasion it was a drink and race number).
Despite the cold weather, there was an excellent turnout for the race. As always, the race was well organised thanks to all the judges, marshall's and helpers both on the day and prior to the event who had been out checking out the course. For me the race went well and I got a new p.b. time for a 10k race so something must be going right with my training! With my new found speed, I hope to walk each day for the next couple of days and then if possible, head up to Ramsey on Thursday for the rearranged fireman's run.
Mention of salads in my last entry got me thinking. If anybody has decided to lose some weight as a New Years Resolution, can I recommend Greens restaurant in Douglas by the railway for a lunchtime meal. I believe that if you order a salad bowl, its possible to actually burn more calories chewing the food than is consumed during the meal.
Only 166 days to go now till the big day. It still seems a long way away but time is ticking on - take my advice, preparation is the key.

No comments:

Post a Comment