Saturday, January 16, 2010

Greeba fell race

Like a mutant mountain goat, I entered the Greeba fell race today - my first attempt at fell racing. It was over 9 miles and had an ascent of 2300 feet. I spent a bit more time preparing on this occasion getting the kit together with minutes to spare. I even looked at the route on the map until my wife gave me a bit of advice - just follow the person in front!
So, off I went running up Greeba Hill till it started to get steep and then moved onto walking up Greeba Hill, then it started to get steeper and I moved onto staggering. Now a little tip I learnt in the early stages, if you think you are catching up with the person in front, you are not. It's just that the hill is getting steeper!
Anyhow, I soon got into my stride and after about 3 miles the field was thinning out. Actually the person in front was barely visible in the distance and I couldn't see anyone behind. I had no option but to try and catch up with the person in front, otherwise I was lost! Over the next few miles, I slowly closed the gap and in a moment of stupidity overtook the guy ahead of me. I think the marshalls at the next checkpoint thought I was joking when I asked them which way it was next. Luckily, the guy behind me caught me again and I was able to follow him to the end.
Overall I was quite pleased with how it went and although a little stiff now, I will enjoy a few beers later!! I was very good when I got home and even managed to work out how to switch the washing machine on to clean the kit. I was so looking forward to a nice hot bath but after jumping enthusiatically into a nice deep bath, I found that my 16 year old son had used all the hot water doing whatever he does in the shower for half an hour. So after 2 minutes in lukewarm water I was out again. A bit more post race preparation for next time I think.
Bring on the Manx Mountain Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment