Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Because I'm worth it

After the fell race on Saturday, I was looking forward to a rest on Sunday. However, I received a text from Dave ‘sick note’ Mackey (Fastest first time finisher 2008, 18 hours 3 mins 17s) on Saturday evening inviting me to go for a walk with him and Vinny ‘the hitman’ Lynch (Fastest first time finisher 2009, 17 hours 5 mins 8s) on Sunday morning. I couldn’t resist the temptation of going for a walk with them, even though they were going at 8am on Sunday morning (surely elite international athletes have a lie in on Sundays). So, off we went for an 8 mile walk up to Strang, Glen Vine and back to Douglas passing Peter Kaneen (4 times p.w. finisher, P.B. 15 hours 26 mins 7s) on the way. I normally get by on very little sleep but for the first time in years I slept for a full 12 hours on Sunday night.

On Monday I tried out my new bike again and cycled around the TT course (except coming from Ramsey to Douglas on the coast road instead of over the mountain). My only down fall was the slightly unhealthy fish and chips at Ramsey Trawlerman half way round – very tasty. I went to the children’s race walking class on Monday evening with my 8 year old son for a bit of humiliation from the expert kids!

Yesterday I went for a 5 mile walk with Sally in the morning and then went to race walking again in the evening. I think I have now hit a manic point in my training because this morning I was dragged down to the pool and swam a mile with Sally and then this evening I went for an 8 mile run. However, this manic phase has got to come to an end (fortunately) and I will be doing a bit less over the next few days.

I have got to send a little get well message out to my sister in law Judith Quane who managed to fall over in the dark whilst walking last night and is now wearing seven stitches in her leg - hope they made a neat job Judith or your stocking modelling days will be over.

I have just had a very relaxing bath and a refreshing pint of lager. The advantage of living with 3 females (4, if you count my 16 year old son) is that you are never short of hair care products. Tonight, from the vast array that I was confronted with, I went for moisture and shine shampoo with orchid and coconut extracts for dry/damaged hair and lightweight conditioner with white nectarine and pink coral flower extracts for fine/normal hair – because I’m worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment