Monday, May 17, 2010

Beware of heart rate monitors.

After threatening to go for a walk yesterday, I instead went cycling with the boys so today I had to get out for a walk. I went for a 9 mile walk around my usual route of East and West Baldwin spotting a few walkers en route. I was hoping that I would feel good after not doing as much the past couple of weeks but instead my legs felt heavy and so I was not as quick as I had planned. By the time I took the children down to race walking, I was flagging. I think I will need a refreshing beer or two to rejuvinate myself this evening.

The good news is that all this training is making me fitter. Whilst in the hotel gym last week, I ventured on to one of their high tech cycling machines with a pulse monitor. Whilst peddling away my pulse was around 130 even when I was pushing quite hard (suppose the monitor could have been faulty). It took me back to a few years ago, during the height of my couch potato days, when my friend invited me to his gym. I went on the running machine and duly attached the pulse monitor. After about 30 seconds, my pulse was racing and after about two minutes my heart rate had hit the 'red zone' and the machine started to alarm with noises and flashing lights - might as well have had a big neon sign above saying Fat b@***** on the treadmill. I played it cool, casually moping my brow before heading off to the weights and dropping 3kg on my foot.

I plan to get out for a walk again tomorrow as long as Will doesn't ring me...

No comments:

Post a Comment