Monday, March 22, 2010

I am the weakest link!

Well I returned back to the Isle of Man a couple of days ago after a fantastic week skiing. By the end of the week, even with my lack of balance and incoordination, I could actually ski! Not quite as well as my 6 year old Zac, who after a couple of days had the knack of just going straight down any hill without falling over once. I managed to avoid breaking any bones but have a few bruises and a huge bruise covering my right thigh - I'm happy to post the pictures if I get enough requests!

Quite a bit has been happening over the past week whilst I have been away. I see, with Murray's frequent updates, that the entries are now flooding in. There are now less than 100 days to go to the big day. I notice that our final team member has also entered - Peter Ryan (The plod!). Although Peter is like me a novice to the Parish Walk, that is where the similarity ends. Unlike me, Peter is an experienced race walker with a vast number of races under his belt including winning a 100 mile walk! So that's the team, Peter Ryan a centurion winner, Dave Mackey, fastest first time finisher in 2008, Vinny Lynch, fastest first time finisher in 2009 and me - so no pressure whatsoever on me!

That has inspired me to get back to the training today and with less than 2 weeks to the Manx Mountain Marathon, I ran (and frequently and for prolonged periods walked) the route from Ramsey to Greeba. All the snow had gone from the tops but I set out this morning in heavy rain and mist. Fortunately the rain and mist cleared but with the ground so wet, almost every path had turned into a stream so it was a bit heavy going. I did however manage to find some better routes especially crossing the stream at Injebreck and ascending Colden so hopefully, I will be that bit fitter and better prepared.

I will hopefully get a walk in tomorrow and possibly on Wednesday. In the meantime, apologies for the music but it was requested by Sam my 16 year old son.

No comments:

Post a Comment