Friday, February 26, 2010

A legend and a gentleman.

I have let my training lapse the last few days and so I haven't had much to report on the Blog! I have been working long hours this week and had commitments on a few nights as well so I have had little time to squeeze in training. I should have gone out tonight for a run or walk after work but a blocked sink put paid to that so I am sat down having a beer instead of exercising. The problem with not getting out is that it becomes easier to put off the training and become less motivated so I have arranged an early morning walk tomorrow to get back into the swing of things.

Although I haven't been out training for the past few days, the Parish Walk hasn't been completely out of my mind. In fact if you are not training for it, what better than to talk about it! I was fortunate enough to bump into a gentleman on Wednesday and after talking for a while, the subject turned to the Parish Walk. He told me that he had completed the Parish Walk in 2009 in 166th place, in a time of 23 Hours 15 mins 17s. Not bad you might think but he seemed a little disappointed that he was 2 seconds slower than his finish in 2008. And he was slower than his P.W. time when he completed the course in 2007. This is starting to sound impressive! The really impressive thing was that his P.B. Parish Walk lap was 21 hours, 43 mins 50s (The time in itself was good enough) but he completed his P.B. lap in 1961!!!!

I was lucky enough to bump into Michael Gray who completed the 2009 Parish Walk at the age of 74. I had to admit to him that my effort last year was, in comparison, pathetic. Michael and his wife had some great stories about the Parish Walk and he is hoping to walk again in this years event, the 50th race since he first entered in 1960. To find out more about Michael Gray, click on the link to 'old features' from the Parish Walk home page and scroll down to find him.

Right, thats got me motivated again. I'm going to the pub now and then back to the training in the morning at 07.30 hours prompt!

2 comments:

  1. Come on Walker, get you're finger out. You have to get trainning as were all coming to see this walk of your's. Thats enough to get you sprinting...away from us (scary) !! Elena xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha! Right I will get back to the training. Come on over - but I can't promise the usual Friday night out beforehand!!

    ReplyDelete