Sunday, February 7, 2010

That Manx Mountain Marathon again.

I have, over the past 6 weeks or so, been toying with the idea of entering the Manx Mountain Marathon. Up until now, I have been safe in the knowledge that I am actually working that day so if training wasn't going so well or if I just didn't feel like it nearer the time, I had an excuse! Unfortunately, I made the mistake of swapping shifts a couple of days ago and now I have no excuses left up my sleeve. At least I will have something to focus on in my training for the next 8 weeks.

The next thing to do is to enter. There are 2 start times, 7.30 am or 9.15 am for those who expect to finish in less than 7 hours. I am not quite sure how long it will take me but not being a morning person I am going to go for the relatively luxurious 9.15 start.

Exercise for the past few days consisted of the fireman's run in Ramsey on Thursday night. Thanks to Murray for putting my photo on the front page of the manxathletics website. I think that you can see from any photos of me, just how much fun I am having whilst participating in these events - especially the one on the Parish Walk website!

Today I went to Andreas for the winter walking league where there was a big turnout and I also met fellow blogger Dudley. I actually had everything prepared for once except I forgot to abstain from alcohol last night - Doh. I even remembered to smear vaseline in all the relevant chaffing areas - nice. (Now there is a top tip for the Parish Walk - you cannot have too much vaseline at the start, go on apply it liberally, you know it makes sense). However, I managed to get a new personal best but I'm not sure where I came overall in the race yet.

Hopefully I will get out and keep the training going in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment